Erratic posts from afar

Travel-blog from my multi-phase, multi-wedding visit to Turkey and Pakistan.

Wednesday, July 13, 2005

Excuses, excuses

So this blogging thing didn't quite work out as planned -- it's been even more erratic than I predicted. But it's not my fault! At least not completely:

  1. No internet in Pakistan! From just before I got there till just before I left, the entire country experienced a massive internet blackout. Apparently the undersea cable connecting Pakistan to the rest of the world was damaged, and, well, there was no backup. The country went to satellite and was at 2% capacity while they were fixing it. (Maybe my recent technological demons have followed me here?)

  2. Despite above: I did my best to put up with seriously slow connections and keep up with mail and posting, but my attempts to use the sleek flat-top screen and computer in my luxury room on the executive floor of my luxury hotel drove me near insane -- every time I tried to go to my gmail account, I got sent to a page that said "You are about to enter an Adult Site"! Perhaps this is a new feature, but one I can do without.

  3. I've been sick. (Don't tell my mom.) Those of you who remember my humor quarrantine from when I had pneumonia a few years back will recall that hacking cough + laughter = me sounding like I'm dying. Not to worry -- I'm pretty sure I don't have pneumonia again, and I'm pretty sure I'm not dying, and I've felt (if not sounded) perfectly fine for most of the trip. But I've elicited plenty of concern from my various surrogate parents, and tried (so far to not much avail) fizzy Turkish and gooey Pakistani expectorant, several varieties of Strepsils and endless cups of tea with lemon and honey. I'm hoping my return to non-smoking, non-air-conditioned life will assist my full recovery. In the meantime, I'm warning everyone I know not to be too funny.

  4. Sensory overload! When people ask me, "How was Pakistan?" I find myself able to say only "I'm still processing." While I was there I was too busy enjoying the assault on my senses and staying one wardrobe step ahead of each wedding event; and since then I've been overwhelmed by the prospect of trying to capture in words what was an essentially cinematic experience. I am sure my photos, when I eventually post them, will not capture the hubbub of Karachi, the elegant chaos of the wedding and the exaggerated incongruities at every turn. (Don't even get me started on all the English gems I missed -- where's Richard when you need him?!)

Excuses aside, I do apologize and humbly accept your collective reprimands, and I promise to make a good faith attempt to record my sense impressions of the remainder of my trip before long. (No, really!) Hope this finds you well.